Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My ex girl friend and I have restraining orders on

eachother, so I agreed that...
my ex girl friend and I have restraining orders on eachother, so I agreed that a 3rd party could come over and grab her things. I never said that my ex could come to my house. She showed up anyway with her friend to grab the last of her things. at my house while I was inside. I feel she violated the restraining order because even though she came with a police stand by I was never informed by her or the police that she would be involved, especially on my property. I also consented to a 3rd party coming, not her. Was she in violation?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer

You should read the restraining order carefully just to see if part of the order included allowing your ex to return with a police escort. That type of language is common language in a restraining order. If there isn't any language allowing her to return for that specific purpose under those circumstances, and part of the order is that she stay away from you then she probably did violate the restraining order. Ultimately though the final determination if she truly violated the order would be determined by a judicial official and or law enforcement.

Please let me know if there is anything else you want to discuss. I would be happy to continue this conversation. If so just reply to this response. If you are satisfied with this response, please Accept the answer and provide a rating. Doing so is the only way experts are compensated for the time reviewing and responding to questions as we are not employees of the site. You may also get a request for a telephone call, but that is from the site and not the experts. I hope your legal issue is resolved to your satisfaction.

N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer
Thank you! I thoroughly looked over the restraining order and no where does it say that she can return with a police stand by

OK. You may also want to consider the additional hassle that could come from reporting this violation. Violating a restraining order is a serious criminal matter, but considering the circumstances, if you consider it nothing more than an annoyance, than you may not want to take this past occurrence any further. I am not trying to discourage you from reporting it, especially if you feel you were in danger or harm or threatened. If so report it immediately! I am just offering some insight. As I stated before the final determination to prosecute for an alleged violation, would be up to law enforcement and or a judicial authority.

This is the second time in 10 days where she has violated. I think im going to persue further. Thank u again

You are welcome. If you are satisfied with my responses to your questions, please accept the answer, and provide a rating (5 stars would be appreciated). Thanks, ***** ***** hope everything works out to your satisfaction.