Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have signed over guardianship of my 2 sons, aged 14 and…

Customer Question
I have signed over...

I have signed over guardianship of my 2 sons, aged 14 and 16, to a family member. what parental rights do i still have?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes, the guardianship is finalized.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Utah

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
My ex husband died, and the children wanted to live with family members. I have just signed the papers today and the documents have been filed. I just want to know what parental rights remain after the guardianship is finalized.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Family Lawyer: Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney replied 4 months ago
Bruce Schreiber
Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney

Welcome & thank you for your question. I am the professional that will be assisting you. I am a Certified Child Welfare Law Specialist

Transfer of Guardianship is not the same as Termination of Parental Rights.

The court may remove a guardian upon a request by:

• a parent, unless parental rights were terminated or some other court order prohibits restoration of custody to parent.

The Utah Court of Appeals has found that a parent's consent to the appointment of a guardian for that parent's minor child is only a suspension of the parent's custody by circumstances.

If the parent later petitions for termination of the guardianship, the court must grant the petition unless there has been a final factual determination depriving the parent of custody or termination of parental rights by a court with proper jurisdiction.

Do I get parent time? Can i enforce parent time? Can I claim them on my taxes?

The purpose of removing the guardian is to get them into your custody, so if the termination of guardianship granted, you will get all of those things.

Do you have further questions?

Family Lawyer: Bruce Schreiber, Family Law Attorney replied 3 months ago

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work I would appreciate it.

The site does not credit the Attorneys unless the customer rates our service positively. Thank you for your consideration. Please feel free to ask more questions and I will be happy to continue to assist you.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.