Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was married, my ex-husband now filed for divorce and was…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hi I...

Second opinion] Hi I was married, my ex-husband now filed for divorce and was made final April of last year. I can't find the paper work. Is there a way I can get a duplicate copy of divorce decree? Also, we agreed that I would coordinate with him when I got money to get the rest of my personal belongings out of his house but he states he discarded all my things when he didn't hear from me after a while without any notification. I didn't check off on application anything because I didn't read it thoroughly in my haste. Is there anything that can be done at this point on my behalf?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Oh my name is*****: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I'm in Raleigh, NC now but we got married in PA where he still resides

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I wanted to know if I went to the house if he changed the locks and knocked to see if I can enter to see for myself if he did trash all my belongings because I believe if he through my things out he kept some of my things like my camcorder because I have footage of my baby niece before she passed away, I had pictures from childhood up to adulthood that I can't replace etc. that I want back if possible.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/16/2018
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 month ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

You need to contact the Courthouse where your divorce case was handled, the Clerk's Office and request for a copy of your Divorce Decree.

If your ex-husband has discarded your personal items in violation of your agreement, then you would have to go back to Court and file complaint against him for destruction of your personal properties and payment for the replacement value of the items.

As for going back to the house and knocking on the door to get your things, you should do that but make sure you contact the Police if he starts being difficult. You do not want to get into physical confrontation with him.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law