Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I was married, my ex-husband now filed for divorce and was…

Hi I was married...

Hi I was married, my ex-husband now filed for divorce and was made final April of last year. I can't find the paper work. Is there a way I can get a duplicate copy of divorce decree? Also, we agreed that I would coordinate with him when I got money to get the rest of my personal belongings out of his house but he states he discarded all my things when he didn't hear from me after a while without any notification. I didn't check off on application anything because I didn't read it thoroughly in my haste. Is there anything that can be done at this point on my behalf?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Oh my name is*****: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I'm in Raleigh, NC now but we got married in PA where he still resides

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I wanted to know if I went to the house if he changed the locks and knocked to see if I can enter to see for myself if he did trash all my belongings because I believe if he through my things out he kept some of my things like my camcorder because I have footage of my baby niece before she passed away, I had pictures from childhood up to adulthood that I can't replace etc. that I want back if possible.

3/16/2018
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

The decree of divorce is a public record. If you contact the court that issued the decree, they can provide you a copy

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didn't go to court to file he did. Are you referring to where we went to file for marriage decree is that the same location for divorce decree?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't have that on my card presently. Online is fine for now until I can get more money. Can you respond now?

I am confused...you asked how to get a copy of the decree...what other questions do you have?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You mentioned to to court for copy of decree. I didn't go to court to file divorce he did. Are you referring to where we went to file for marriage decree is that the same location for divorce decree?

Are you divorced? The divorce is final?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but I moved and can't find the paperwork don't have proof was trying to see if I could get duplicate copy?

Then the court that issued the decree can give it to you. As I explained prior, this is a public record.
Whichever court issued the decree? Contact that court and they can provide a copy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Attorney Simmons?

Yes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I didn't file the divorce decree he did so I'm not sure what court he went to I'm no longer in PA. Is it at the same location when we went to file for our marriage certificate?

No. Ma'am, you stated you are divorced...tell me, WHY do you believe that to be true?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He filed the paperwork for the divorce and submitted it

He filed the paperwork where (in which city/state)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
PA

SOrry...I asked the CITY and state...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry Philadelphia, PA

Thanks

Then contact the court in Philly. THey will have a copy of the decree of divorce

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok Thanks, ***** ***** wanted to know if I went to the house if he changed the locks and knocked to see if I can enter to see for myself if he did trash all my belongings because I believe if he through my things out he kept some of my things like my camcorder because I have footage of my baby niece before she passed away, I had pictures from childhood up to adulthood that I can't replace etc. that I want back if possible. Is there anything wrong with that or should I have the police to go with me to avoid any problems?

I do not think the police are going to get involved in this...you can certainly make the request, but my experience is that police do not engage in these matters.

That said, if he is not following the terms of the decree? You can sue him and have the court order he follow the terms of the decree

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what about him throwing my belongings away against my wishes and didn't know till after the fact, is there anything I can do about that?

You can sue him for the value of the belongings.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But I don't have receipts unfortunately, your thoughts?

My thoughts are you sue in small claims court. Tell the judge what happened. WOrst case you loose. But if do nothing, you get nothing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Your right, Do you know if there are free lawyers that assist and go to court with you in relation to this matter in PHiladelphia, PA because I am in a financial strain currently and don't have the money?

No...I do not. But you can contact the legal aid office for PA, perhaps they can assist

http://www.palegalaid.net

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you have been very patient with me thx. for answering my questions.

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thx again for everything

:)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
take care

thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
good bye

Ma'am PLEASE take the time to rate this...you have not done so yet.

thank you

P. Simmons, Lawyer
P. Simmons, Lawyer