Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I gave my ex sister and brother in law custody of my 3

Customer Question
Hello, I gave my...

Hello, I gave my ex sister and brother in law custody of my 3 children in 2005. We signed papers in a lawyers office, and did not go to court. Now the children who are 19, 17, and 15 have decided that they want to come live with me, my current husband and my 11 year old daughter. They feel like they are in grave danger where they are currently living. I need to know what I need to do to get full custody back.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No mam, on March 7,2018 my daughter and son called me at 11 at night to come get them, because my ex brother in law had pulled a knife on my ex sister in law in front of them. We called 911 on him, and my kids wrote a statement telling what he did. the cops arrested him that night, and my kids have been with me since then. My ex sister in law will not grant me any kind of paper to even put them in school or even take them to the doctor. She is not able to care for them, because she has a substance issue. Im just trying to do whats best for my children.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My 2 youngest who are 15 and 17 want to stay with me, and they said that they are willing to do whatever it takes to live with me, because they are scared that they will forced to go back, and Im trying to get my full custody back of my kids.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/16/2018
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

What did you sign back in 2005? some type of voluntary guardianship ?

.

And you didn't go through the courts ever to formally terminate your parental rights?

.

.

thanks