Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

We have conservatorship over our 29 year old son. He is

We have conservatorship over...

We have conservatorship over our 29 year old son. He is mentally disabled since birth and is able to communicate at no more than a 2 year old level. He has lived at home with us since birth. We moved from California to Pennsylvania last summer. We covered everything except the courts. We want legal consent to move him from California to Pennsylvania without returning to California to appear in court. Is there a way?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in CA family court?

We have a lawyer who has filed with the court.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

She keep insisting we need to appear in court but the court investigator said we could do it by teleconference or videoconference. He may not have understood that our son is non-verbal.

Answered in 1 day by:
3/17/2018
Wendy
Wendy, Moderator
I'm a moderator for this website. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Wendy
DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help - do you have all the guardianship papers?

we do.

Thank you for the information - Generally speaking you will have to be present in court to take your son out of the state of California. However, if you have the correct paperwork you might be able to speak with the court officer with whom you have worked with in the past concerning issues that have come up. If that is the case you may be able to skype into the courtroom or have a conference call with the judge to get the requisite court order.

DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer