Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I think i have a case in my already filed divorce case is…

Second opinion] Hi, i...

Second opinion] Hi, i think i have a case in my already filed divorce case is that something that you can help me with?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes, and we have been divorced i think for 5 years by now

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I want to know if i can change the divorce papers, because the house we bought together is not in the papers, also i don't get to claim my daughter for taxes purposes at all, i don't think thats right

3/16/2018
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

when property is inadvertently left out of a divorce decree the parties can petition the court to reopen the case to address forgotten property. This is because the divorce court has jurisdiction over all marital property and that is required so there is a proper ownership determination of the property.

Tax issues for child dependents falls under child support; so a petition to modify child support can be sought based on a change in circumstances; so if there is a change in income for example the party can request a modification and simultaneously with that request ask for permission to claim the child every other year, or consistently.

LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your response, another question: is there any statute of limitation to pursue this? and do you know if I need to hire a lawyer or I can open the case on my own and let the court determine the situation? Thank you in advance!!
LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer