Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

California- My husband and I have been married for 3 and a…

California- My husband and I...
California- My husband and I have been married for 3 and a half years and the money that I came in to the marriage with has been comingled. He owned the house that we live in before he married me. It is in a trust that I and his two kids are beneficiaries of. Since I have children of my own, my question is in regards ***** ***** we divorce. If my name were added to title on the house he previously owned, would I be entitled to any of the equity should we divorce? ( House and marriage are state of California)
3/15/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

To convert the house from his separate property to community property, California law requires that he sign a document specifically stating his intent to do so. Family Code, Section 852. The statute was passed specifically to avoid a situation where a spouse unknowingly converted property from separate to community property by adding a spouse to the deed. If he'll agree to sign something, then you'd be entitled to half the equity should something go wrong.

Note, though, that if he has a mortgage and payments have been made during the marriage, you're automatically entitled to a credit for half the increase in equity due to those mortgage payments. Essentially, that's going to be the amount that the mortgage has decreased during the marriage. The reason for this is that, if he hadn't happened to own the house before marriage, the two of you might have bought a house together where you could have an equity interest. It's not considered fair for him to get 100% of the benefit of payments made during the marriage, since all money earned during the marriage by either of you is community property.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

YOU EXPLAINED THAT SO WELL! IS THERE A SPECIFIC TITLE TO THIS DOCUMENT? OR WILL ANY DRAFTED AND NOTARIZED DOCUMENT SUFFICE?

The name of the law is "Transmutation of Property," but you don't specifically need to call the document that as long as it's clear he's intending to give you half of his interest.

DOES IT HAVE TO STATE HALF THE INTEREST? COULD HE SPECIFY A DIFFERENT PERCENTAGE OF INTEREST?
THIS WOULD BE IN CONJUNCTION WITH A DOCUMENT ADDING ME TO THE TITLE ON THE DEED? I WOULD IMAGINE A TITLE OFFICER COULD HELP ME WITH THE CORRECT DOCUMENT?

Yes, he could state any percentage of interest he wanted.

The document would be valid whether he adds you to the title or not. However, adding you to the title protects you in the event that your husband passes away before you. I would not expect a title officer to have these documents. Since the property is currently in a trust, you may want to talk to the lawyer who set up the trustee about adding you as a beneficiary and/or co-trustee.

Youve been amazing. Could you explain to me the difference between a beneficiary and a co-trustee?

A beneficiary means you'd get the property when your husband passes away, but you wouldn't have specific rights to it now. Being named as a beneficiary wouldn't give you any protection in the event of a divorce, because he could simply amend the trust and remove you.

A co-trustee helps manage the trust. In a divorce, you'd be able to use your co-trustee status along wit the transmutation paper to show that your husband converted the house to community property and were entitled to half (or whatever percentage he gave you).

Would the co-trustee status be necessary in the case of divorce or would the transmutational document still stand alone?

Because the property is currently owned by the trust, not your husband, it's better to be added to the trust as well if possible.

Awesome. Thank you!

You're welcome!

Please rate my service positively, as this is the only way that I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer