Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Have a question regarding adoption. Mother got married to…

Have a question regarding...

Have a question regarding adoption

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

mother got married to another man who signed birth cert. he was not the real father. the real father wants to now be in childs life after finding out hes the dad.. but child has been adopted

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Mi

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that i know of

my husbands ex had a baby while he was incarcerated. before she had the baby she got married and the man she married signed the birth certificate. Now its 2 years later and the child is adopted out to the mothers dad. My husband is about to take a DNA test to find out if it in fact his child because if it is he wants to be a part of his life. Does he have any rights to this child after it being adopted out if he finds out it really is his child?
3/16/2018
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator
Hello:
I'm Michelle, the moderator for this category. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you!
Michelle~Moderator
Yeah Id like an answer. Thats why I came here. ��
Thanks for nothing
DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help today - Has he taken the parenting DNA test and been shown to be the biological father?

No
He is about to. Just wondering if hes got any rights past that. After an adoption. If he is.. He was never given the opprotunity to decide about this adoption.

Yes, as the biological father he has substantial rights. Especially if those rights were not told to him when the child was born. He would be able to file motions in family court for parenting time/decision making and even custody. But it does all hinge on if he is actually the biological father.

Ok great. Because at this time the mother. Who does not even have custody anymore is trying to say IF he is the real father he can only go visit when she goes to her visitation and I just felt this is not right if he is in fact the father.. He was givin no opprotunity to make any decisions about this adoption.
get the test 1st and go from there?

That is correct - start with the test and move on from there - can you please rate my answer with 5 stars

DanLegal
DanLegal, Divorce Lawyer