Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

A friend of mine has a custody case. The case was closed 4…

A friend of mine has...
A friend of mine has a custody case. The case was closed 4 years ago. He has backpaying child support.
If he wants to reopen the case for more custody. Will it affect his ability to obtain more custody?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

How much does he owe? How did he fall so far behind and what custody is in place now?

$8000.
When he first moved to GA from California, he did not have a job for 12 month. She is primary custodial. He gets her one day a week day for 4 hours. His goal is to get 50%.

Thank you for the reply. I think he can motion the court and seek to get more visitation but it would be hard for the Judge to go from what he currently has, to 50-50 at this time. He should really try and obtain more visitation and go for an additional day or more time or even one overnight a week, before trying to get 50-50. As long as he has been paying off the arrears, the Judge will see that and it should not necessarily hurt his chances.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer