Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What does valid mean and does is mean something is legal?

For example a license of...
what does valid mean and does is mean something is legal? For example a license of any kind
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I'm sorry; for some reason this did not appear on my open question list.
Did you still need assistance on the above?

If you want to help if not but I already got help

If you already received a satisfactory answer and don't wish a second opinion I will close this out for you - whichever you prefer!

I never got a response from them...but go ahead and respond to my question

Per Black's Law Dictionary:

Definition of VALID: Of binding force. A deed, will, or other instrument, which has received all the formalities required by law, is said to be.

https://thelawdictionary.org/search2/?cx=partner-pub-2225482417208543%3A5634069718&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&q=valid&x=0&y=0

So for example, a license that is valid would be one issued by the proper officials (ie the state) and that has not expired or been suspended.

I could not find an example of a case that defined the term in Alaska case history.

This still does answer the question does it mean something is legal ?
This doesn't answer my question does valid mean something is legal ?

Yes, for example, an invalid license means that is has no legal effect; same with an invalid will;

in contrast a valid license is effective.

I don't understand this... So your saying a valid license of any kind is legal as if an invalid one isn't ?

Yes that is correct; a valid license would be legal; and an invalid license would not be illegal (ie the person would not be violating a criminal law) but it would not have any benefits/use.

LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer