Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

In a marriage where the husband is the only one working and…

In a marriage where...

In a marriage where the husband is the only one working and providing family with a income. Can I switch accounts so my wife can’t take money out or my account

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know what I can and can’t do about my bank account.

3/15/2018
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

If you currently have an account in joint name, you may not close the account without her permission. What you are allowed to do is open a new bank account in your sole name. You do not need her consent to open the new account.

Is your pay check directly deposited into the account?

it’s direct deposit

Ok, once you establish the new account in your sole name, you may change the direct deposit to the new account.

Ok! And I’m also paying for her car and I’m not positive if it’s in both our names or just mine. I can’t afford to make the car payment can I take her car away and give her a different vehicle?

Not if she is also on the car title. If the vehicle is in your sole name then you may get rid of the vehicle. If her name is ***** ***** the car title she will have to consent.

Would I be able to tel her if she wants to keep it she has to make the payments?

It depends on who signed the loan documents. If the loan is in both of your names then you are liable for the loan. If the loan is only in her name, then it is her debt.

Jessica B
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
If it is in both our names there is no way I can just take the car and have it be my personal car?

You are a co-owner so you may use the car whenever you want.

Also I’ve been paying her college loans too. Can I stop making payments on those loans?

Did you co-sign the loans?

No I did not. Just kinda took over paying them when we got married

No you are not obligated to pay them.

When I get my new bank account is it illegal to transfer money from our joint account to new one?

No. Since you are a joint owner you are entitled to the money in the account.