Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Moved to Texas in August 2018 from Louisiana. I filed an…

Customer Question
Moved to Texas in...

Moved to Texas in August 2018 from Louisiana. I filed an article 102 for divorce in Louisiana in March of 2016 which requires a 365 day (with children) waiting period to finalize the divorce. We appeared in court in our parish in June 2016 where a consent judgement was signed. Per the consent judgement: I was awarded sole custody of our child; my ex has supervised visitation at my discretion; he was ordered to pay child support and the full cost of our child's health insurance policy; and I was granted permission to relocate from LA to TX with our child. Since then, my ex has relocated to Colorado. He has not paid child support or medical insurance costs in over 5 months, nor has he had any contact with the child. My question is, now that I live in Texas, can I be granted a final divorce here, and can the Texas court enforce the previous judgement from Louisiana? I would hate to go back to LA to finish this up, but I would also hate to start the whole process over. Thank you for your help!

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Yes. The details of that are in my previous message.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it. Please connect me.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Hello?
3/16/2018
Family Lawyer: Sean K, Family Law Attorney replied 4 months ago
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

It appears that all issues but your divorce were finalized in Louisiana. Is the one final thing you need a divorce? And you would like to have that in Texas?

If you reply and there is a delay, it is because I am away from my computer, but I will get back to you within 12 hours due to the time of day.