Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can an alimony awarded in Florida be terminated by common…

Customer Question
Can an alimony awarded...

Can an alimony awarded in Florida be terminated by common law marriage in Texas?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in FL family court?

This is a permanent alimony already in effect for 18 years.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Moving to Texas and plan to live with boyfriend. Alimony terminates if married in Florida

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Yes, and normally would be done by agreement. If parties cannot agree, then would file a motion in court to secure an order terminating the obligation.

What if we are just friends and have no intention of getting married and just living together in separate bedrooms as roommates?

Then it would not change things, since there is no financial support being made.

A court would want the financial details to determine if there is a change in the support.

If my reply is acceptable, please reply "acceptable"

Awaiting your reply, thank you!