Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can ex wife make the father of the child force into

Can ex wife make...

Can ex wife make the father of the child force into mediation? What are his rights to refuse? Can he involve his finance into mediation? Ex wife is trying to bring her inablility to deal with a new woman in ex-husband's life as a need for co-parenting counseling, although she has in the past harrased the new fiancee and her ex-husband nearly daily and even has a physical outburst documented through the police department

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

There's a joint custody agreement with the child being one week at our house and one week at the other parent. Although under the pretenses of the coparenting,

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are they in?

NC

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is it a paid session?

3/15/2018
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

While co-parenting mediation is often a requirement in custody cases pending a divorce, once finalized, there is no requirement for mediation, so one parent cannot force another parent to mediate (unless there is something in the court agreement that says any future disputes regarding custody will go to mediation before a hearing).

Ex-wife could file a motion to modify the custody agreement if she can prove that there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the original custody order and that it is in the best interest of the children, but simply not likely the new fiancee is not a substantial change in circumstances, nor grounds for modification.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
RobertJDFL, Lawyer