Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need a lawyer for child support. Father is in Tallahassee…

I need a lawyer...

I need a lawyer for child support. Father is in Tallahassee Florida and I am in Greenwood SC. He was ordered to take a paternity DNA test he requested. When it came do, he did not take the test. He has only paid $ 100 over the past 3 years. I need for him to be responsible for the Lawyers cost as I am a single mom with very limited resources

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I had DSS file for me, They sent him a letter stating he needed to make a court day or request a DNA test to postpone it. He requested the DNA test.I took mine in Florence SC at Family Court and he never took his. That was 1 and 1/2 years ago. That's all that has happened so far.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I am in Greenwood, SC and He is in Tallahassee, FL

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long is the wait. they said 8 min and its been 20
3/15/2018
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

Allow me a minute to review your information and I will offer some guidance.

The issue here is that there is no mechanism for him to be held accountable for the child support request process. DSS is a great agency to have assist you when the person is in the state where you are located, but because it is out of state, they don't have any ability to enforce or make him do anything in Florida.

So question for you - have you had any follow up with DSS in SC?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could a lawyer in Florida work?>
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not have the funds, thanks

It as if you are reading my mind.

If DSS is not going to pursue it then there are essentially 3 options. First, the DSS type agency in Florida. That would be low cost to no cost (the reason I say low cost is that it may require more time on your end.)

Option two is to have an attorney in SC start the process for you. You could cause a law suit to be filed here and then he would be served in Florida and would have to appear in SC. If he has not cooperated so far, he probably would not and that would benefit you because you would get child support set, but it would be difficult to enforce with him in Florida.

That comes to the last option in that if a Florida attorney initiated the process, he would have to appear in Court in Florida and if he did not, then child support would be set and if he did not pay, then the Court in Florida could punish him.

As well, an attorney in Florida may be able to seek to have him pay for the cost you incurred.

That all being said, it may be possible to go through the State of Florida for the support; however, it may require some coordination with SC if their case for you is still opened. And I would also consider a call to SC DSS for an update - sometimes with them they just need some particular motivation.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. There is no specific course of action is proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege formed within this conversation.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

As well, if you like, I can provide some resources for you for locating an attorney in Florida including potential for reduced costs attorneys as well. Just let me know.

Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please

Stand by.

There are two general search sites - Martindale.com and Lawyers.com. Both of these allow you to search by area - Tallahassee for instance, and also for subject matter here - child support.

A more specific resource will be the Florida State Bar site that you view here, At the top of the Florida Bar site there is an option, "For the Public" under this there is a lawyer locator and a Pro Bono option. Both of these would be of benefit.

We are prohibited from referring specific lawyers, but I can provide these resources for you get you started on your search.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much.

My pleasure! And best of luck.

Sean K
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney