Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Socrateaser only: I had a home invasion robbery on Halloween…

Customeronly:I had a home invasion...
Customeronly:I had a home invasion robbery on Halloween and I’ve been seriously freaked out since then. I don’t like being in my home as State Farm hasn’t paid me a dime today repair broken jams and kicked in doors and windows from the entry. I don’t like seeing this damage in my master bedroom, bathroom and office. I’ve started to put together a list of missing items and keep finding new things missing. Again, I’m living my alone in my home and I’m traveling a lot to stay away. I’m scared. I hired a private adjuster at my friends suggestion and now they want me to depose me. Here’s the impersonal letter they sent. Nothing about I’m so sorry about your loss or anything! I’ve been with State Farm since I was 15 1/2 years old. I’m so angry st them I could spit. Here’s the letter they just sent me. How should I respond? I haven’t hired an attorney but now feel like I should. Turns out the person who robbed me was a guy in a half way house that I was helping. He preached s good Christian word and I helped him a lot letting him borrow my old car (he got it impounded), giving him work, teaching him life skills, etc. this whole thing has been an emotional nightmare. I think state farm thinks this was an inside job that’s why they are doing this EUO. please help me. Thanks.
3/15/2018
socrateaser, Lawyer

They want to "depose" you?

Tell them that you're willing to answer written questions under penalty of perjury, but that you won't agree to do that, or to sit for a deposition, unless the insurer pays your reasonable attorney's fees for you to have competent representation.

This is an extremely reasonable request, since your answering questions submitted in writing, or in an oral deposition requires attorney assistance, and the cost of that assistance is likely to exceed the cost of repairing the damage to your property.

Which should lead the insurer to the inescapable conclusion that it would be more cost effective to simply pay for your property damage.

Note: You didn't attach any letter to your post -- which is good, because you would be publishing it to the entire internet universe.

Hope this helps and thanks for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer
I’m sorry. The website didn’t send me a text saying you have answered my question. I just found the email. I sent you email with letter from Atty . The claim for damage to my house is around $300,000 so we are not talking pennies here. I will respond as soon as I hear back from you. They are trying to bully me.

No worries.

Thanks for using Justanswer!

I sent you email of letter. Did you get it?

Yes. Thanks again for using Justanswer!