Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Are all material goods purchased during a marriage

considered community property?...
Are all material goods purchased during a marriage considered community property?
3/15/2018
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

Wisconsin is one of the states labeled as a community property state. In community property states, everything a married couple owns together is subject to a 50/50 split upon divorce. It's a broad category that includes the following:

1. All income received by either spouse during the course of the marriage (salary, interest income, stock dividends, capital gains, retirement accounts, etc.)
  2. All property (real estate and personal property) acquired during the course of the marriage using income earned during the marriage
  3. All debts incurred during the course of the marriage

Wisconsin courts treat all property as community property unless a spouse can prove otherwise. More often than not, this means providing evidence of when you bought that property and demonstrating that during the marriage, it wasn’t used communally.

jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer
jb156200
jb156200
jb156200, Lawyer