Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

State divorce family case, my attorney had filed two motions…

Washington state divorce family case...
Washington state divorce family case, my attorney had filed two motions to hire a guardian ad litem to investigate both me and my x. For the best interest for the kids. She only investigated me and what I asked her to consider a for investigation she simply didn't respond. I never received any report as RCW indicates reports are to be done 60 days prior to the hearing for time to respond. I was financially heart at that time and now I'm ok. Case is over against me very unfairly, I'm sad for kids. It's been eight months after my divorce, can I ask her for my file now? Does it cost? As she said does it need a judges order for her to give a copy of my own file? I think she might be making changes to the file during giving time, how can I speed up the judges process. Do I need to hire a lawyer? If so what kind? Yhx
3/15/2018
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is general information for educational purposes only and doesn’t constitute not legal advice. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the website - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.
.
Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

NO, she does not need a court order to give you your own file!

If you're going to hire an attorney you'd need another family law attorney.

As far as your file, your attorney can charge you a photocopying fee, but he or she must return your file to you.

Please let me know if that answers your question. If you don't need any additional information, if you wouldn't mind could you please take a moment to submit a rating. It DOES NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Sometimes people aren't aware that experts don't get any credit for the time and effort that we spend on our answers unless you rate it positively. 5 STARS is always appreciated! If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You can still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be some lag in my response time if you follow up with additional questions. It just means I'm working with someone else but I will ALWAYS come back an answer your questions when I'm done.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It is not an attorney of mine, but a Gaurdian Ad Litem who per my request was hired for best interest of kids. Her excuse is that it’s been eight months since my trial, which I didn’t see any report then either

I see - and you're trying to get the file from the guardian ad litem?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, your previous contributor had to leave.

In order to get the report from the GAL if they never produced it to you in accordance with the RCW you must file a Motion to Compel in the court and you need to explain that the GAL never provided you the documentation as required and as a result your rights to due process were infringed upon because you could not properly prepare your case and as a result the rights to your children are denied, infringing upon your constitutional right to your children pursuant to Troxel v. Granville, 530 U.S. 57 (2000).

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Thank you so much for best most effective answer ever, I did started to file a motion when she had emailed me final report of hers, which I’m great full but it’s only investigating me, her witnessed are my x’s x, his friend and someone that I don’t even know about now what?

Thank you for your reply.

You can now file an "Objection to GAL report" and in your objection you can explain bias in that the GAL never bothered to interview you or any of the witnesses on your side.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Will do thanx

Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer