Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What rights do step randparents have in Oklahoma and what…

What rights do step...

What rights do step randparents have in Oklahoma and what can i do to proect my kids

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in Oklahoma family court?

No havnet filed anything cause i dont know what i need to do i was even told that i couldnt get a protective order until something happend and im trying to be proactive

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?

I contacted one and she said i couldnt do anything but that anybody could file for custody

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This lady and her daughter is my husbands step mom and step sister and both are obsessed with my 6 year od daughter and we have a son together to plus i have 2 from a previoud marriage. I did in jan move my 6 year old daughter to their house for education reasons butthe end of feb my daughter cried to come home and we had moved to another school district so i let her. after that i keep getting threatening phone calls about them goin to take my daughter away from us and im tired of being threatend. i have even talked to a lawyer and she said there wasnt anything i could do cause their wasnt no harm being done but as obsessed she is with my daughter i wouldnt put it past her to try to kidnap mykid.. what can i do an her mother

3/15/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

yoir not a family lawyer

I am sorry, I do not understand your follow-up post.

I was in the middle of preparing my post and saw your comments and need to make sure if I should still continue with my response.

Kindly clarify your comments.

Thank you for your cooperation.

go ahead. But i was told a family lawyer would respond

I am a licensed Attorney who handles family law issues...

Ok please then

what rights do step randparents have in Oklahoma and what can i do to proect my kids

Response: Step-grandparents do not have any rights to the step-grandkids ("kids"). However, the step-grandparents can petition the Court for guardianship or custody of the kids if they think the kids' parents are unfit to take care of the kids. However, this petition does not mean that the Court would grant the petition. The petition must be served on the parents so that the parents can respond and tell the Court why the petition is ridiculous and why the Court must dismiss it as having no basis in fact.

Unfortunately, there is nothing a parent can do under this situation to preemptively stop the step-grandparents from meddling in the child's life.

If the step-grandparents do kidnap the child, then the parents can file charges with the Police against the step-grandparents for kidnapping and for immediate return of the child to the parents.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you. However, as an Attorney and an Officer of the Court, I have ethical and professional obligation to provide you with accurate and honest information eventhough that information may not be in your favor.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

under cicumstances i could not get a protective order?? And yes i will give u the highest star

Unfortunately, yes. There is nothing to protect against at this time.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

The child has not been harmed and a threat to kidnap the child has not been made. So, there is no legal basis for a Restraining Order at this time.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

She has threatened to take my kids

No harm and a threat to take the kids.

My answer remains the same, regrettably.