Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What happens when a contested divorce goes before a judge in…

What happens when a...

What happens when a contested divorce goes before a judge in bexar county?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

3/15/2018
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Can you please share with me a little more about the situation?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Trial date set today at 9. Dividing assets but no child custody
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What can her lawyer do? Mediation didn't work

Thank you. If today is the trial, the Judge will hear the contested matters and arguments and evidence presented and decide, on all those issues. Her lawyer can present and show why she is entitled to X, Y and Z and if this was not something you were able to agree on at mediation, it will now come down to the Judge deciding based upon what the law allows and arguments presented.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
does the judge allow time to explain certain situations?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can my 16 yr old be a witness?

Yes, if you are representing yourself, you will be able to testify and present your arguments and case, as to why you should be entitled to something or a great share/percentage. You have a legal right to be heard and present your argument. As far as your 16 year being a witness, it is unlikely a Judge may allow that since they do not want to bring a minor child into this and have to testify against one of the parents, for something. If this is about custody, the Judge may listen to the wishes of the child but the Juge always has the final say based upon the child's best interest.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure will. Thank you. Just nervous

Of course, I certainly understand and wish you the best.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
5 stars
Thank you
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer