Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband filed for a divorce after I kicked him out of the…

My husband filed for a...
My husband filed for a divorce after I kicked him out of the house for molesting my 13 year old daughter and his lawyer is asking for joint custody of our 10 year old son and for me to pay for his lawyer and support him because I earn more (He earns nothing, he gambles). Anyways, they ask I file a written appearance and response in the office of the clerk of the circuit court. What exactly am I suppose to respond to? Is it a form I fill out? What am I responding to?
3/15/2018
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer

I would be happy to help you answer this question. I am sorry that you are going through this. The appearance and response are legal document that you file as part of the divorce. Because you are the defendant/respondent, if you intend to participate in the divorce started by your husband the court wants you to make that intention known, that 's the purpose of the appearance. It gives the court your contact information, primarily for the purpose of adding you to the case, and so they can communicate with you (mail, phone). Its necessary for you to receive notice of what's going on in the case.

The response is like it sounds its your response to your husband's divorce complaint. Both forms are available on the circuit court's websites. I will attach a link to the forms below.

Appearance:

http://www.illinoiscourts.gov/Forms/approved/procedures/appearance.asp

Response:

http://www.illinoiscourts.gov/Forms/approved/procedures/Answer_Response.asp

Please let me know if there is anything else you want to discuss. I would be happy to continue this conversation. If so just reply to this response. If you are satisfied with this response, please Accept the answer and provide a rating. Doing so is the only way experts are compensated for the time reviewing and responding to questions as we are not employees of the site. You may also get a request for a telephone call, but that is from the site and not the experts. I hope your legal issue is resolved to your satisfaction.

N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer
Thank you