Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Olivia, You previously replied to my question about the

Customer Question
Hi Olivia, You previously replied...
Hi Olivia, You previously replied to my question about the interpretation of the Rules of Court. But I didn't quite understand. You said "technically, there's no appeal pending, if the one party files and abandonment and the other responds to it." I don't understand what you meant. Responded how? I showed up in court for the appeal, because I wasn't notified about the abandonment, by the court clerk, as outlined in the Rules.
Do you think the judge may hear my case, since the wording is... "may"? Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/14/2018
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 1 month ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

I apologize. I wasn’t clear. Basically what I was trying to say is this… Let’s say Party A files an appeal. Then Party B responds to the appeal. If A then withdraws their appeal there is *technically* no appeal pending. So in that case there would be nothing for the court to hear unless perhaps if the court didn’t, for some reason, allow the party to abandon their appeal. Please let me know if that’s clearer :-)

And technically if you, Party B, or two also appeal the courts decision then the court could then still hold onto the case even if Party A abandoned their appeal. Since both parties can appeal some aspect of the courts decision. Does that make sense?

I saw your comments about not quite understanding… I’m going to answer it here even though it was posted as a separate question because I don’t want you to be charged multiple times :-) Help me understand which part you don’t understand… What I’m trying to say is that if only one party appeals the court’s decision And then with draws that appeal there is nothing left for the court to decide.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney