Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My boyfriend was arrested 2 years ago for a crime he didn’t…

Customer Question
My boyfriend was arrested...

My boyfriend was arrested 2 years ago for a crime he didn’t commit. 4 years ago he was dating a girl who had two small children. There was a custody battle going on for the little girl. The little boy who was two at the time he died was hospitalized for what was said by doctors to be a bleeding disorder. His mother didn’t follow up with specialists from St. Jude as she was directed. The little boy fell down a set of steep wooden stairs and also wasn’t taken to the hospital. The little boy died 2 weeks later. There was an investigation and it was ruled death due to the bleeding disorder. Well 2 years later my boyfriend was arrested and indicted on capital murder charges for the little boys death. The little boy was in his car the night he became unresponsive. Now keep in mind he was fine when he put him to bed and when the boys mother came in the next morning he was unresponsive. She was alone with him for a good 10 minutes before screaming that he wasn’t breathing. My boyfriend lives with his parents and they were also home when this happened. The state doesn’t have any real evidence against my boyfriend other than hearsay. They are dragging their feet. His lawyers are no better in my eyes but they are also state paid. I want him out and nobody else is pushing the issue. I don’t know what else to do. I’m just trying to get some help and legal advice. Thanks in advance.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Its in Alabama. Lawrence County Alabama. The most corrupt county here.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?

Well he was arrested on March 24th of 2015. He wasn’t indicted until a year later. They’ve not even come up with a series of events to how he supposedly did it. They haven’t even discussed a trial date. They’re just dragging around hoping he admits to something. That’s not going to happen because he’s innocent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The state was contacted by a person that’s not even related to the little boy.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/14/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

He is entitled to file a speedy trial motion, since he has a right to a speedy trial and they cannot just hold him forever without trial. If his public defenders will not assist with this, you need to contact the Southern Poverty Law Center, http://www.splcenter.org, as they intervene in cases where individual rights to due process are being infringed upon.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.