Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I found out my deceased father had a previous marriage I was…

I found out my...

I found out my deceased father had a previous marriage I was unaware of, how can I find if it was annulled or if he got a divorce, it was in 1951 when he got married.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I only have a marriage certificate from 1951, I just wanted to know for personal reasons, he married my Mother and she did not know this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

I am in IL, he married in South Dakota.

3/14/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In order to find the information, you will need to know what court he would have filed divorce in. Here is the issue, that is so long ago, any information on the divorce would be in the archives and the clerk of court will need to manually have it searched. But you do need to know what city/state the divorce was filed under. Once you figure out the city and state where he would have lived when he divorced, then you contact the clerk of court and make a public records request, which may take some time if they are in the archives.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Ok, this may help me in my research, thank you.

Thank you for your reply. I wish you the best.