Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

How to find out if someone made a repost against me. No but…

How to find out...

How to find out if someone made a repost against me.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?

No but a lady came to my house on Friday while my sitter was here & the same car & lady have been back to my house on 2 different occasions around the same time. My neighbor called me & told me

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was helping a so called friend & discovered she was actively using in my home so I put her out. She’s the vindictive type and I’ve witnessed her threaten to call CPS to others.

3/14/2018
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Thank you!

I am very sorry to hear you have this concern.

Unfortunately reports to CPS/social services are confidential so there is no way to verify if someone made a report.

However CPS does not normally work as a private investigator sitting out in a car and secretly watching for events; rather their investigation tends to be more proactive-for example, interviewing the parents, and even the children, along with possible witnesses such as school teachers, etc.

Please see:

http://dhr.alabama.gov/services/Child_Protective_Services/FAQs_CA.aspx

If an individual is "stalking" or harassing a person then the victim may seek a protective order which requires the other party to desist all contact.

When this lady came by on Friday & spoke with my sitter & was asking for me or my husband. I’ve not been home the last 2 times she’s came by, I’ve not been home. She been sitting in my driveway
I assume waiting for me to get home.

Then if they are waiting to interview it is possible however they will typically leave a card and ask the parent to contact them unless there is a different office policy for the local office.

Ok no card has been left. Should I go ahead & contact an attorney? Or try to be home all day tomorrow as I’m sure she will return?!

It is a good idea to contact an attorney if there is belief that one will be contacted; this way you will be aware of your rights, and you can call the attorney immediately (having a preestablished relationship) if the agency makes any threats.

I’ve been thru family court before with my daughters father many years ago, but DHR wasn't involved. They did a home evaluation, cleared me & the case was between him & I. I do have an attorney whom I used for that case & could contact him in the am. But if it is DHR/CPS....would they be allowed to lie about why they are at the home. The reasoning is because this lady told my sitter on Friday that she was here for a survey?!

Not that I'm aware of;

they are officers of the court/state so they are normally held to a higher standard and are expected to act with integrity.

You may want to contact the census surveyors to see if they are in your area:

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/AL

I guess I’m taking a day off work tomorrow & hopefully this mystery lady will show up again! If she does & it ends up being DHR, I’ll know my rights. Thank you for your help!

You are most welcome;

Terribly sorry you are having to deal with this especially with someone who makes a habit out of causing distress.

Good luck to you and yours. Take care.

LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
You and me both!!