Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need to change my last name on my birth certificate. Ny…

Customer Question
I need to change...

I need to change my last name on my birth certificate.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Ny

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/14/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

In order to get a significant change (versus a scrivener's error, or typo) on a birth certificate the party requesting the change must file a petition with the court requesting that they order the state to make the necessary amendment. There generally must be a valid reason to do so and the purpose cannot be to defraud third parties.

That is a custom drafted petition but this will give an idea (this is for a name change):

https://www.nycourts.gov/forms/ncpetition.pdf

sample from other courts that can be used as a template:

https://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/sscdocs/packets/cvab1z.pdf

Hello; just checking in on the above.
If you have further questions please post here and I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Otherwise
kindly rate positively (hopefully you feel I have earned 5 stars) to help maintain my high customer satisfaction score and so I know you were satisfied with my services.

The above information is for educational purposes only. An attorney in one's jurisdiction can be located at https://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_services/flh-home.html
Thank you.

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer