Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am trying to find out if i can file an emergency motion to…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to find out if i can file an emergency motion to have my husbands son who is living at my house removed. We are going through a divorce and recently he allowed his 31 year old son to move in. Since he has moved in he startimg bringinh strangers into my house and smpking weed and drinking. My property has been damaged and my personal itrms have gone missing. Also the stove was left on once when i arrived home. I have had to make special arrangements for my 17 year old son because of his personal safety and find him a place to live.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I'm in Toronto Ontario.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing has been filed. My lawyer is waiting for his disclosure which is past due.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/14/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your considerable patience.

This sounds like you may need to begin the eviction process because you are the landlord and your husband's son is a tenant under the law. The eviction process applies to all landlords and tenants and the law does not concern itself whether the agreement is in writing or whether the tenant has paid rent. Eviction procedures also apply to tenants and subtenants as well. Regardless, although a landlord will have to go through eviction procedures, the landlord must pay special attention to some important legal concepts.

Generally, a landlord must follow procedural requirements when issuing an eviction notice. This means a tenant must receive written notice of the eviction before it is effective; in most cases it is at least 30 days. In addition, a landlord’s eviction is unlawful generally if they violated the implied warranty of habitability; the implied warranty of quiet enjoyment; if the landlord has locked the tenant out; if the landlord has failed to uphold promises made in the agreement; or if the tenant has cured a problem such as past due rent. Plus, landlords cannot discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, or religious affiliation under the Fair Housing Act. So, if you are going to evict, you must be very careful that you’re providing enough time and doing it for the right reasons. Regardless, if a tenant fails to pay the agreed upon rent, is at the end of their tenancy, or is not performing promises in the agreement, then you can evict.

If you click here, you can see the variety of eviction notices that are available to you depending on your situation.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer