Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I dated someone and got pregnant and the alleged father

Customer Question
Hi, I dated...

Hi, I dated someone and got pregnant and the alleged father didn't wanna have anything to do with the child. He even told me to have a abortion. So while pregnant I git back with my ex of a 10 year relationship and he decided that he will accept the child and has even sign the birtb certificate. Now the alleged father is contacting me about doing a dna test because he feels bad😏.. I told him no that this wasn't his child and now he is telling me that he will get me subpoena to take a dna test.. What rights do I have to not take this test. I don't want him in my child's life. He already have a father that's is doing a great job. Can I refused a dna test?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I'm not sure. He contact me today saying he will get a lawyer and put everything in motion

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/14/2018
Family Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, you do not have to take the DNA test unless a court orders you to do so. However, if the court (or usually a department authorized by the state) orders you to take the DNA test, then you'll have to take the DNA test. If you don't, then you may be facing civil penalties where they will force you to take the test. So, the answer is in the meantime, you don't have to do anything, but if the father goes through the government to get you to take a test, then you will have to do it and then custody, visitation, and support will be determined (assuming that he is the father).

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?