Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am considering divorcing my husband, but I am also trying…

Customer Question
I am considering divorcing...

I am considering divorcing my husband, but I am also trying to avoid it. So I am not ready to go ahead with legal proceedings. However, I am aware but do not have legal proof that my husband is hiding large (at least for middle class) sums of money in several different places. I need help in researching this and getting legal proof of this without his knowing, because the minute I whisper the word separation my husband and his mother will hide everything they think I don't know about. If my understanding is correct, the things that will need to be done can't be done by a private investigator without a legal reason, or they can't do them at all. Can I get a lawyer to look into these things and keep the evidence for me in preparation for legal proceedings?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I saw a family lawyer two years ago right after I discovered he'd been having a 1 1/2 year affair, but never went any farther than that. I am very sick, and because of my husband's family's temperament (kind of, nobody gets one over on them) divorce proceedings would be catastrophic to my health and devastating to my son who is neuro-atypical and has several mental conditions. All I did was a consultation

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I don't think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/14/2018
Family Lawyer: N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer

Most attorneys don't do this type of research on their own. If uncovering the funds would require investigation attorneys usually refer that forensic accountants. If an attorney where to take this investigation on their own then its unlikely they would be able to uncover anything without alerting the subject of the investigation as with a forensic accountant (or probably a private investigator) the person doing the investigation would need access to the accounts. Ethically an attorney can't access that information without court approval or the account holder's permission. Now if there are any joint accounts that you have access too then you can provide that information, if any of the funds were funneled through those accounts. You can pose the question to a forensic accountant and see if and what information they would need to do an investigation.

As part of the divorce this would be something that your attorney could uncover, but obviously you'd have to start the proceedings first. I understand that you have concerns filing for divorce, stating the stress will be negatively affect our health. That is a valid concern. I will say you should consider the ongoing stress that you are going through now versus what you'd go through during a divorce, versus what your life would like post divorce once this is all behind you. And a good attorney can be a buffer to some of the stresses associated with the divorce process.

I am sorry that you have to be going through this.

Please let me know if there is anything else you want to discuss. I would be happy to continue this conversation. If so just reply to this response. If you are satisfied with this response, please Accept the answer and provide a rating. Doing so is the only way experts are compensated for the time reviewing and responding to questions as we are not employees of the site. You may also get a request for a telephone call, but that is from the site and not the experts. I hope your legal issue works out to your satisfaction.