Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

If a divorce was granted in Georgia with shared custody, the…

Customer Question
Thanks, ***** ***** divorce...

Thanks, ***** ***** divorce was granted in Georgia with shared custody, the wife and child moves to Virginia and the husband moves to Ohio and the wife refuses to let the husband see the child even with shared custody, what are his options ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Divorce in Georgia, wife lives in Virginia, husband lives in Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, would it be filed in Georgia even though he lives in Ohio?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/14/2018
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this;

Normally under the UCCJEA - the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act- the state that first enters a custody order has ongoing and exclusive jurisdiction over child custody unless all of the parties leave the state; in which case normally the state where the child resides will assume jurisdiction.

Please see the Act here

Normally the court will try and enforce the terms of the original order to the extent it is still feasible; however if there is a substantial change of circumstances (ie the move) then the court may modify it to reflect the best interests of the child.

One of the factors the court may consider is one parent's refusal to allow the other parent access to the child, as that is generally deemed to be contrary to the child's best interests.