Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

What do you do if you have joint legal and physical custody…

What do you do...

What do you do if you have joint legal and physical custody with 2 parents, but one of the parents refuses to pick up the child on their days? We have signed, court ordered weekly schedule. the one parent has skipped 17 days with their child.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the court order was issued in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do we have grounds to take this to court for full legal custody with a shorter visitation schedule for the parent who refuses to pick up their kid?

3/14/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You can file a motion in court and seek full custody. The parent is violating the order and gives the other parent good basis and grounds to modify and seek full custody!

If the reply is fast and acceptable, kindly reply "yes"

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do i do if the other parent will not tell us the address of where they work or where they are living when they have my child?

I would raise that with the court as well, and for service of motion, use last known address.

Infolawyer, Lawyer
Infolawyer, Lawyer