Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am a German citizen living in the United States and as a…

Customer Question
I am a German...

I am a German citizen living in the United States and as a military dependent since the age of 5 years old. I am now 44years old and suffering from serious mental health issues and under the care of a psychiatrist for my life long medical symptoms and have to take psychiatric medication Dailey to live a semi normal life. I was severally sexually abused by my step father then a military soldier from the age of 8-16 and passed around to his military friends where he allowed multiple military men have sex with me in all form both here in the United States on military bases and on three military bases in Germany. I was court ordered to an adolescent drug treatment program by the juvinile court system at age 15-16 where I was educated on childhood sexual trauma and substance use disorder. I reported my sexual abuse as it was still happening at that time to a counselor on staff. She reported to authorities and a case was opened. Child protective services although there was a open investigation did not remove me from the home and just set a date for my mom and step dad to bring me in to meet with the detectives to tell my story. My mother forced me to recant my statement and swayed me as a witness. I was sexually assaulted for another year after that as the case was closed because they thought I made it up when in fact I did not. I am mentally ill require daily medication and ongoing psychiatric care for PTSD, Anxiety, Bi-polar 1 with psychotic feature and SUD. Is it to late to press charges and get some financial resources for my life long condition

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Caused by my parents who are still married and the military who did not protect me and CPS for dropping the ball and not removing me out the home immediately to protect me from being swayed and forced to recant my truthful statements?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

California Washington I believe South Carolina and three military bases in Germany Wiesbaden Frankfurt and Heidelberg

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes reported when I was 15-16 here in California but forced to recant my statement and COS ordered family counseling for 10 sessions but then closed the case. My parents stopped seeing the LCSW but he continued to see me for 10 plus years because he knew I was telling the truth and wanted to help me

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/14/2018
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is not too late to pursue criminal charges for forcible rape and sexual abuse for a minor in SC, but it is too late in CA or WA, which have statutes of limitations. So, if you can prove your claims in SC you can file criminal charges and also still have the ability to file civil suit there for money damages. You would need a local attorney in SC to assist and represent you in the civil claims and you can get one at the same site used by other attorneys http://www.hg.org

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What about being a German citizen dependent of the military and it happening on military bases any federal laws? International laws since I was a citizen of Germany and raped on military bases?

Thank you for your reply.

I am not a German law expert so I cannot speak to that for sure, but I believe the statute of limitations is 30 years from date of occurrence. Anything that happened on a US Military Base would follow the statute of limitations of the country/state where the base was located.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you know of any good lawyers in SC that I could call or an international lawyer that handles crimes committed in forgien countries while military dependent? My last question.

Thank you for your reply.

The best we are allowed to suggest is you can use the same site used by other attorneys http://www.hg.org

where you can find attorneys in both SC and in Germany as well for assistance. There is no such thing as "international lawyer" and there is no special law about "crimes committed in foreign countries while military dependent" I am afraid. The law of the country/state where the alleged crime occurred is what applies.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer