Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am 78 years old devoiced around six years ago, I have son…

Customer Question
I am 78 years old...
I am 78 years old devoiced around six years ago, I have son and daughter each one and they both married and working, my daughter-in-law had never worked, my son is working part time on the internet for about five years now, he had worked around several year in U. S. A. , then had worked around ten years in Taiwan( R. O. C.) for teaching English, come back to U. S. A. after I devoiced. the question is if I got big win for instance $7000.00 a week? What is proper suggest for protect my one grand son is teen age student going to college in years and six year old grand daughter? I don't worried about my son in law and my daughter and their three children 7 years, 4 years and 3 years old which are my grand children-in-law, because they both have good job right now can take care themselves.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/14/2018
Family Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 3 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

Is your question how to make sure you set aside money for your grandson (the teenage student) in case you pass away before he goes to college and your six-year-old granddaughter if you win the $7,000/week?

what is your suggestion?

There are various options you can do. First, you would want a Will. The Will will allow you to designate beneficiaries to whom you want to give money when you die. In the Will you can also have trust language wherein instead of giving the money outright to the young grandchildren you put the money in a trust for them. You would pick a trustee who would then distribute the money to them when they turned 18 or 21 depending on when you want the grandchildren to get the money.

When you meet with the local attorney in your area, he or she will be able to draft the will for you and obtain from you the information necessary to draft the will to meet your intentions.

Another option is to create a trust now and put the winnings in the trust where you are a beneficiary and when you die, the money stays in the trust until the grandchildren reach 18 or 21 (or another age).

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Hello again:

I am checking in with you to see if you need further help. If you need more, just let me know.