Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am from Montana. I am currently separated from my wife. We…

Customer Question
I am from Montana...

I am from Montana. I am currently separated from my wife. We have three kids together. My wife makes less money than me but is able to find a better paying job. Can the state make her find a better job so that not obligated to compensate for lack of income? We currently share the children 50/50.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Montana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, we are trying to keep everything out of the courts. We truly want what’s best for the kids.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am just wondering what is a fair amount to be paid each month even tho she has a less paying job, but is more than capable of finding better employment

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/14/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry but they can not really force her to work a certain job or in a certain industry. While you pay more in support because of this, I do not think a Judge will order her to find a different job nor can it even be guaranteed. If anything, you could try and get the amount of support which was ordered to be modified, if you can show that you can not afford to pay it and it is creating a hardship, along with your other costs of living and this is based upon a change in circumstances.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!