Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need information on emancipation and the process. Florida.

Second opinion] I need...

Second opinion] I need information on emancipation and the process.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet.

3/14/2018
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What can you tell me about your situation?

Well my family situation is not good at all. I live with my father and the relationship between me and him is extremely hostile. The rest of my family isn't in my life at all. I've been contemplating it for a while and I came to the decision that I should get emancipated. It wasn't an easy decision but I realized I'd be happier and better off if I decided to go that route. I have some pre-planning for it out of the way, like what my living situation would be once I was emancipated and where I'd go.

I'm sorry to hear that.

How old are you? Do you currently have a job (even part-time)?

I'm 16, almost 17. I had a job but I lost it a bit ago, but have a job opportunity waiting if I can get out on my own.

Thank you.

The first requirement in gaining emancipation is that you're at least 16 years old, so you meet that requirement. But the next step is showing that you're financially independent. That unfortunately means that a judge isn't likely to emancipate you before have a job, preferably with money in the bank to get an apartment and show that you can pay for your own expenses.

If your father is threatening you or you feel in danger at any time, you can call the police. You could also place an anonymous call with child services and ask them to look into your home life to make sure you're safe. Otherwise, the first step is going to be to apply for some jobs.

Yeah definitely, I don't know if it's true but some of the research I did said that you can also get emancipated if you have a confirmation of how your needs will be provided for, is that true?

Usually, the judge wants to see that you're self-sufficient already, not just that you have a plan. Especially if that plan is relying on someone else, because they could change their mind (or get sick, or become unemployed, or die... there are a lot of variables).

Yeah that makes sense, the only thing that's hard is jobs since the area I'm in is sub-urban and there's not a lot of opportunities here, and most of the part-time jobs are full.

That's tough. I hope you can find something.

As do I, so if I manage to get a job and begin to file, where would I send those documents once that's all done?

You'd file with the Florida family court in your county.

Alright, I only have one more question, how long is the process usually? And does it go faster if the parents consent or is it the same amount of time as a petition to the court?

It could be a little faster if both parents consent. But it usually would take a few weeks to get a hearing, and then the judge can take some time to make a decision, if he wants.

That was all the questions I had, thank you for answering them, and quickly too.Hopefully I can get this done and get my life to where I want it to be.

You're welcome. Good luck. It's tough to feel like you have to wait for your life to start.

Please rate my service positively, as this is the only way that I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer