Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My husband pays child support for his 3 children with his ex…

Customer Question
My husband pays child support...
My husband pays child support for his 3 children with his ex wife. As the children get older how long do we continue to pay?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/14/2018
Family Lawyer: N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
N.Brown ESQ
N.Brown ESQ, Lawyer

Generally support ends when the child is no longer considered a child of the marriage. That normally happens when the child reaches the age of majority (18). Under certain circumstances support can continue beyond 18 if the child has special needs and or has a medical condition that would make support appropriate beyond 18. Finally, the parties at the divorce can agree to have support end at a certain time. I would suggest reviewing the divorce judgment, and any subsequent modifications to see if it sets a specific date when support will end. Your husband should have a copy of the judgment, if not then it can be obtained from the court where the divorce happened. If it doesn't state a specific end date then usually it's at age 18.

Here's a link court information about child support and other divorce related matters.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/fl-df/child-enfant/2017/look-rech.asp#Lookup

Please let me know if there is anything else you want to discuss. I would be happy to continue this conversation. If so just reply to this response. If you are satisfied with this response, please Accept the answer and provide a rating. Doing so is the only way experts are compensated for the time reviewing and responding to questions as we are not employees of the site. You may also get a request for a telephone call, but that is from the site and not the experts. I hope your legal issue works out to your satisfaction.