Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am in new jersey, looking for an attorney to represent me.

Customer Question
I am in new...

I am in new jersey, looking for an attorney to represent me. i cannot afford an attorney fee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet. i want to file for divorce

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Neptune New-Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My rights as a wife, a mother and divorce woman. Also my limits

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/14/2018
Family Lawyer: Sean K, Family Law Attorney replied 1 month ago
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

It appears you are in need of a divorce but cannot afford an attorney. I can provide you some resources for low or no cost approaches to pursuing a divorce, likely representing yourself. I wanted to reach out to see if this was something you were interested in. If so, let me know and I can provide them, if not, I am happy to step aside so one of my colleagues may assist.

Customer reply replied 16 days ago
Hi Sean,
My name is ***** ***** took me long to answer you because I was looking to see if I could physically meet with a lawyer by scheduling free consultation with different offices. All of them did ask me to do some research that I could not provide before.
I think I found some of their requirements and also I wanted to assure myself That the idea of separation was my pain for so many years to file for divorce. But I am sure that is what I want.
I cannot financially afford an attorney but by reading you, I believe that you can help me.
Please let me know what should I do next?
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
The question is : where can I go to seek a family lawyer
Family Lawyer: Sean K, Family Law Attorney replied 16 days ago

Here are some sites that you can visit to look for an attorney. Martindale.com and Lawyers.com. These sites will allow you to search by practice area, in your case, Family Law, or your geographic area. You can also search Pro Bono or low cost. Full disclosure, most of the attorneys on this site will require a fee, but there are some on these sites that will work with you on any fee, but you will have to dig some.

Now, specifically to New Jersey.

Each county in New Jersey has a lawyer referral service - If I recall correctly, Neptune New Jersey is in Monmouth County - the link for their attorney referral service is here. There is not a charge for the referral service but if there is a fee that is required, you would be responsible for that.

Now, as to the fee for an attorney, do be aware that in family law cases, it is possible to seek fees from the other party and that is frequently done so when you do speak to an attorney, ask them about that.

There are a variety of services in New Jersey that provide low cost and pro bono (free) services. Some of these may have specific criteria you have to meet, but I have included them as options for you

180nj . womenaware Central Jersey Legal Services South Jersey Legal Services Volunteer Lawyers for Justice

Finally, if you want to attempt to pursue a divorce on your own Legal Services of New Jersey publishes a comprehensive overview that walks you through the process with instructions and forms. I have attached that link here.

So what I have tried to do is to provide general resources that would be traditional for pay services that could be negotiated between you and the attorney, state resources for low cost or free resources and an overview resource that would allow you to do this on your own.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Sean K
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney