Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My grandson is 14. He will turn 15 the last of Oct. He is…

My grandson is 14...

My grandson is 14. He will turn 15 the last of Oct. He is having issues with his mother and he doesn't want to go to her house every weekend . I think there are a few issues there. His mom works weekends and so he has to stay with moms boyfriend and his stepsisters. What can he do ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. He did come home to his dads 2 weekends ago with a huge bruise and big knot about his collar bone. We have pictures of that. She won"t let him have his cell phone because none of the other kids have one. This cell phone is the only way he can contact his dad or me if something is wrong.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He just text me today at work and ask me if i could find out if he has to go to his moms.

3/14/2018
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Did the dad report the alleged abuse? Has the Dad tried to modify visitation or custody?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No not yet.

In a situation like this, the father needs to act in the best interest of the child and take action. If he believes the child is subject to abuse, he should report this with child services and the police and have this investigated and documented. Moreover, if the child does not want to go and is having issues with the mother, the father should consider going back to court and asking the Judge to modify the order and at least giving the father a right of first refusal, if the mother is working, so he does not have to stay with a random boyfriend and stepsisters. Moreover, the Judge could order that he does have access to a cell phone and the mother would need to allow it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does he need to modify their joint custody? At this age I feel like he needs to be with dad more than mom. I have also heard rumors that they are selling drugs on the side. But like I say they are rumors.

This could be reported and investigated. The Judge will act in the best interest of the child, so the father can seek to modify custody and have the child full time, giving the mother visitation.

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer