Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I had a verbal agreement with my exwife once the kids

Customer Question
finished daycare and have been...
I had a verbal agreement with my exwife once the kids finished daycare and have been paying her the same amount for almost 8 years. One child is getting ready to graduate and turn 18 and she is wanting to take me to court to get back child support after getting the same amount for almost 8 years. Is she legally able to do that?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/13/2018
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good afternoon,

If you're talking about money you owe (e.g., you were behind on some payments and still need to catch up) she can go to court about that. But if she has decided that now she is suddenly unhappy and wants more money from 8 years ago, no, that she cannot do. The proper remedy would have been for her to file a motion to modify child support had there been a significant change in circumstances, such as you getting a big raise and earning a lot more money. The court can't go back and decide that years ago, you should have paid her more.