Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I am going to trial for divorce and I just discovered my…

I am going to trial...
I am going to trial for divorce and I just discovered my husband has a joint safety deposit box with his ex, whom access the box twice during "our" marriage. If I subpoena my husband for the inspections of the premise of his joint safety deposit box with his ex, do I also need to subpoena the ex wife or bank that has the box?
3/13/2018
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, great

Generally either party that owns the safe deposit box has access, thus it is only necessary to subpoena one of the owners.

There is no need to subpoena the bank because the owner may give permission to a third party to accompany the individual to view the contents.

If the individual fails to comply with the subpoena then one may subpoena the bank as well, but since the court may use its powers of contempt to encourage compliance with the discovery request that is typically not necessary.

LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks
LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer