Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My question is not going through. Florida

Customer Question
Hello my question is...

Hello my question is not going through

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Family Law
My boyfriend and I live together in the state of Florida. We own our home and it is bank financed. The mortgage itself with the bank is in my boyfriend’s name since he had a better credit rating at the time but we are both listed on the deed to the home. The home was brand new when purchased 2 years ago.
We decided to split all the house bills between us such as mortgage, gas, electric, water, car insurance, cell phones & a home improvement loan between us. We pay for our own health insurance, personal credit card bills and personal loans.
We have one (1 ) checking account in both our names to be used just to pay household expenses. I deposit $1,000.00 each month into that checking account from my own personal checking.
My question is what are my rights to the house if we should break up since we are not married? Can he sell the house without my knowledge or approval? If the house is sold am I legally entitled to half of what the house sells for? If, he wants to leave can I just keep the house and take over all home expenses on my own? I can afford to do that.
Also, if he decides to keep the house and I leave does he have to pay me for my share of the home? Aside from my share of monthly bills I have invested at least $20,000.00 plus into upgrades for the home with my own money.Thanks
Lillian
3/13/2018
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern