Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I got married in nyc but i want to the divorce in texas is…

Customer Question
Hi i got married...

Hi i got married in nyc but i want to the divorce in texas is it possible?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York it was in BRONX NEW YORK CITY

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No i did not

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/13/2018
Family Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

hi i got married in nyc but i want to the divorce in texas is it possible?
.

Yes, you can get divorced in any state in the US as long as you have established legal residency in that state. In order to do that in TX, you have to have lived there for at least 6 months prior to filing for divorce and 90 days in the county where you are filing..

.

So if you meet those residency requirements, you can file in TX.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much