Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Can you advise me on Family Law? I live in Alaska currently.

Can you advise me...

Can you advise me on Family Law?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I live in Alaska currently. However my divorce occurred in Lake Zurich, IL.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My divorce was final in 1998. However, due to disability my exhusband was court orered to provide me with $600 per month until one of four events were to occur, which would be my remarriage.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. My husband independently made the decision to d/c payments about 2 months before I remarried. That was in 2014.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
8 minutes is now 1/2 hour. Am I still connected?
3/12/2018
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am working on your answer now. I am sorry for the delay. It takes some time to prepare a complete answer. Please note the phone call requests are generated automatically from the system. I do not control them.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

It was improper of your ex husband to stop paying you your court ordered support prior to your marriage. He should have continued the payments until you were actually married.

The way that this could have been addressed would be a Motion for Contempt in the court where the Order was issued.

The problem is that the event took place in 2014, nearly 4 years ago. I am afraid that it may be too late to file the motion for contempt at this time.

I am sorry that this may not be what you had hoped to hear, but I would not want to mislead you.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for your response. The challege in pursuing this much sooner is that he was residing in China. Within the last year, he has relocated to the States. I was originally told that since he was in China it would be nearly impossible to pursue him for this, that if he were to relocate to US it would be possible.
You can argue that the statute of limitations or any other time bar should be "tolled" because he was out of the country. It is a good argument, but no promises.
Gerald-Esquire
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks very much.
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer