Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

When filing for the common law divorce what all am I

Customer Question
entitled to half of everything...
when filing for the common law divorce what all am I entitled to half of everything that we have together what if he was gifted a large large amount of money and we have been paying our bills from that money and things for my 2 kids and spending money that was gifited
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/12/2018
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Please give me a moment to reply. For ease of our conversation, kindly keep related follow-up questions to one question thread (you also won't have to pay a separate amount for each question when you do this).

Texas is a community property state, so anything acquired during the marriage -regardless of who bought it -is considered community property and subject to equal division. The gift of money he received would normally be considered separate property but because he put it into a joint account, the funds have been "co-mingled" and would be considered community property as well.

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for my by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer