Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I need to file for a common law divorce Me and my husband…

Customer Question
I need to file for...
I need to file for a common law divorce Me and my husband have been together for 8 years we are not legally married but we have been on a lease and lived in the same home and shared the same bills and the same accounts for the past 8 years Do I have rights to file for the common law marriage
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Family Law
3/12/2018
Family Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

I will file the divorce on grounds of adultery

Good evening,

Under Texas law, to have a common law marriage, you must do three things:

(1) Agree to be married
(2) Live together as husband and wife, and
(3) Told others (hold yourselves out) that you are married.

Holding yourself out to be married means doing things like telling others you are married, or doing something that makes people think you're married, like signing a joint lease as a married couple.

If you meet those three criteria above, then you can file for a divorce, the same way as if you had a ceremonial marriage and had received a marriage license.

Please let me know if I may provide you with any follow-up information or may clarify my answer for you in any way. Otherwise, please remember to take a moment to leave a positive rating for my by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Doing so costs you nothing extra, but it is the only way experts like myself are credited by the website. You can always reply back (at no additional cost) after rating should you need additional assistance. Thank you.