Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I have been advised to file a Motion to Leave as my ex ended…

Customer Question
I have been advised...

I have been advised to file a Motion to Leave as my ex ended up with full custody and won't follow the court order. I am presently battling breast cancer and have already had a double mastectomy he is very good at frustrating my access and includes our daughter in adult conversations regarding my access. He was awarded $18,500. in court costs which I am not able to pay or even make payments. Legal Aid no longer funds Motions. Could you tell me how to go about completing the forms correctly so I can go forward with a Change of Motion to amend the original order. Thanks Tracey

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ontario Canada

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not as yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I prepared Contempt of Court documents and the judge at that time instructed my ex that if he stuck to the schedule there wouldn't be any conflict. As well, to change visitation to allow for a 'dog's birthday party' on my time wasn't appropriate. The original order said he could change visitation for a special event i.e. wedding, funeral etc. but time was to be made up. My ex frequently changes visitation times to suite himself and only gives me short notice plus if I don't respond immediately he has our daughter call me frequently applying pressure for me to do as her dad asks. (daughter is 9 years old) Mediation was also ordered which he refuses to do. Judge reminded him it wasn't a 'request' it was an order. Duty Counsel suggested I file a 'Motion to Leave' so I could go back and say even though the most recent judge told him to follow the court order he isn't.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Family Law
3/12/2018
Family Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You may indeed file such a motion. You may also seek to compel and hold in contempt.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Ely, Counselor at Law