Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I had a question about an ex-husband who is talking

I had a question...

I had a question about an ex-husband who is talking negatively and encouraging a teen child to misbehave with his mother. Is there anything legally that can be done?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have the child in counseling due to the problems and I have screen shots of the many inappropriate things being said

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

It is affecting the childs grades

3/12/2018
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing these problems and issues. Can you tell me if there is an order granting you custody of your child?

Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We have joint custody, but has never taken to big of a role until recently when my husband passed away two years ago.
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

I see that you would like a phone call and I am happy to speak to you - you will just need to engage it from you end.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok I sent my contact info- and they debited my card-is there anything else I need to do

So from my end the phone call request is showing expired. Try requesting it again. You shouldn't be charged for any call that didn't occur and I can note that there was only one call that occurred.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am trying and it's not accepting- on my end it says you will call me

There are several things that I would like to point out to you that you can do that relate to actions you can take.

For some reason the option for me to engage the call is not active at the moment. Generally it becomes active and allows me to select it and then initiate the call with you, but at this point it it not showing up.

So what I will do is start addressing the steps you can take and if the option does come available - on your end or my end - then we can engage a call. Fair enough?

First, examine your court order and look for a section in the custodial issues that discusses restraining orders or prohibitions on conduct.

It is complete standard for there to be restrictions on just this conduct when parties have a custodial order.

If there is language such as this in your order, you have the ability to file a Rule to Show Cause or a Motion for Contempt to have him sanctioned and potentially punished for engaging in this conduct.

If the language is not in the order, you, since he is doing this, have the option of filing a new law suit and asking the present custody arrangement to be reviewed and, at a minimum, put in a restraint on the bad conduct, and potentially having custody changed.

Do understand that if the language is in there in addition to the contempt motion, you may also be able to seek a change of custody.

On top of this, it will be very important to have the therapist be able to discuss this as if they are treating your child and they can offer some evidence on the bad impact it is having on your child, then this is extremely helpful.

I would also specifically, even if done before, text/write him and ask him to stop the conduct.

Overall, the Court's take a very dim view of this kind of conduct and if he doesn't stop, you can have in back in Court to answer for his conduct.

If you have any follow up questions it would be my pleasure to answer them. As experts we only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate us positively - 5 stars is definitely appreciated but not required! There is no cost associated with you rating me and you can still ask follow up questions after rating me and I will respond.

One final point, there may be a delay between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but rest assured, if you ask, I will provide an answer. Thank you again.

Sean K
Sean K
Sean K, Family Law Attorney