Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

Have a 6 year old child with a man I e never married.

Have a 6 year...

Have a 6 year old child with a man I e never married. Separated numerous times and I take care of all financial issues through each year with exception of health insurance. What is my legal right to child support?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I've never claimed the child on my tax returns.

3/12/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you are the custodial parent, you are entitled to child support and he is entitled to visitation and custody rights. So, yes, you can file for child support through FL Child Support Enforcement and they will pursue the child support due, but if he files for custody/visitation orders, you would then need to fight those in the court with a local attorney.

If the child is your child and is living with you, the child is your dependent and needs to be claimed on your tax returns.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

the child lives with me. His father made me move out 2 years ago and since then we have tried twice to make things work. But for 2 years now I have covered all expenses to include clothes, school supplies and daycare. I encourage visitation but I need financial help with normal expenses. I just want to make sure I can because we are not married but the child is legally named with his father's last name.

Thank you for your reply.

You are legally entitled to child support and you can file by either going through court with a local attorney or by going through the state child support enforcement offic.

You are indeed entitled though.