Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

My daughter wants to live with my sister since she has

better opportunists in a larger...
My daughter wants to live with my sister since she has better opportunists in a larger city. Because my daughter is 16 i'm going to give my sister guardianship of my daughter for the next year and a half until she turns 18. We live in Colorado. What i need to check is I'm sending her to my sister because she says she can support her and give her more options but later can my sister make me pay child support once i give her guardianship? she is asking me to have the guardianship paper work notarized. Just want to make sure my sister who is taking my daughter cant turn this on me to get money out of me.
3/12/2018
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you

The court will have jurisdiction to award child support if the party that has guardianship petitions for legal guardianship through the court system. Otherwise the arrangement is informal and the guardian cannot request child support. However once the person has physical custody of the child, they can use that as a basis (standing would be based on "in loco parentis" - ie the person is acting in the capacity of "parent") to request a formal guardianship which will result in Letters of Guardianship being issued (if granted by the court) and that may include an order for child support since a parent has a legal duty to support the child.

LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer